The prime purpose of a web page is to convey information to as large an audience as possible, providing readers with pertinent information and web site owners with satisfied readers.
There are several design aspects to a web site, but it is surprising how many people concentrate only on the visual. It is all too easy to produce a web site which looks great, but is seldom visited and ranks poorly in search engine results.
Web pages should be:
- viewable using as many different web browsers as possible
- accessible to all, including people with disabilities in accordance with Web Accessibility Initiative guidelines
- optimized so that people can find them
- written using good original content, with the (human) reader as the prime focus
- conformant to World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) published standards
- checked for mark-up validity and style sheet conformance